Own Your Shit: Tips On Becoming A Better Leader
“The number one job of a leader is to wake up every morning, point to the horizon, and let everyone on the team know where the organization is going” -Donald Miller.
When I first went out on my own six years ago, I never thought I would be managing a team. I just wanted to do my own thing. Oh, how naive I was!
Then, I realized in order to truly grow, I had to hire.
Having the ability to delegate is what gives you the energy to do your job. I didn’t know that at the time, but it was the only way out of not working 16-hour days! So, I had to learn to delegate, not because it’s a nice idea, but because it’s essential to growth.
Below, are a couple of tips I followed in order to hire a team and become a better leader.
So far, so good.
1. Lead yourself first – your team can’t be good, unless you’re good.
2. Free yourself from trying to “look good” and “get it all right” – you’re going to mess up! Cat’s out of the bag, accept that, move on, and lead your team.
3. Be an ally – your success is depending on those who work WITH you and FOR you.
4. Share the good and bad news – both in business and your personal life and encourage your team to do the same! We’re human.
5. Delegate – the biggest mistake I see from all leaders is that they try to take on too much and can’t let go of the control! Your team is there to help you. Let them!
This year has not been without its challenges, but something I’ve told myself on the daily is a leader who takes care of its people and the well-being of the organization can never fail.
I know easier said than done, but if you’re looking to learn how more on leadership or the steps in hiring, check out my class here: https://www.facebook.com/events/141633087802457
We will focus on the basics of hiring a team and I will walk you through the steps in creating the team of your dreams.
Then, once you have a team, what the heck do you do with them? I’ll run through a quick demo on how to delegate! Finally, just a quick reminder: YOU GOT THIS.